This transplanted Akronite is living legend in the town of Conneaut, OH. Andy Garcia first showed up in Conneaut in 1942 after earning his education degree from The University of Akron and, with exception of his service time during World War II, he has not strayed from his adopted community. Little wonder! Garcia has three keys to the city and the Conneaut High School gymnasium is named in his honor. After his hitch in the U.S. Army, Garcia returned to Conneaut High in 1946 and started coaching basketball. Twenty-two seasons later, Andy had compiled a record of 312 wins and 172 losses and amassed enough memories to last a lifetime. He was also Conneaut’s track coach for 15 years and sent at least one athlete to the state meet every year he coached. In 36 years as athletic director, Garcia was a builder. In 1942 Conneaut had only three sports – football, basketball and track. When Andy retired in 1978, the school had 13, eight boys’ sports and five for the girls. Garcia gave up the reign in basketball in 1968 and was immediately inducted into the Ohio High School Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame and the school gym was named after him. In 1979 he was inducted into the Ohio High School Athletic Directors Hall of Fame and in 1992 he was presented with the UA Sports Hall of Famers’ Achievement Award.