The Summit County Sports Hall of Fame was inaugurated in 1957 to recognize Summit County residents who have been outstanding in one or more of the organized sports. To be eligible for nomination, athletes must have resided in Summit County during some period of their lives and must have been a member of a championship team, recipient of an individual athletic reward or honor, or have been elected as a member of an honorary athletic team on state, conference, league, national or international levels above the high school rank.
In recognition of such outstanding achievements, persons duly elected to the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame are honored at the annual Summit County Sports Hall of Fame banquet, their achievements made a matter of public record and their names inscribed on a permanent Roll of Honor. The roll is hung in the foyers of the Rhodes Health and Physical Education Building at The University of Akron.
At its May 2013 meeting the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame selection committee will elect
the inductees for the Class of 2013. In June the SCSHOF selection committee will round out the class by
selecting recipients for the Phil Dietrich Senior Athlete Awards and Andy Palich Memorial Service Award.
- Congratulations to our 2013 Scholarship recipients!
- Troy Brown, Copley High School
- Alan Du, Copley High School
- Austin Griffith, Barberton High School
- Katelyn Holaday, St. Vincent-St. Mary
- Aubrey Kozer, Our Lady of the Elms
- In 2006, as part of the SCSHOF 50th anniversary celebration, the following sports figures were selected as the “Best of the Best” in Summit County.
The winners are:
- Best Athlete - Glenn “Jeep” Davis
- Best Golfer - Bobby Nichols
- Best Bowler - Dick Hoover
- Best High School Coach - Jack Greynolds
- Best College/Pro Coach - Bo Schembechler
- Best Official - Fritz Graf
Congratulation to these athletes and to all Summit County Sports Hall of Fame inductees. Thanks for the many memories!
To view the top 50 performers, top athletes, top coaches, top bowlers and the top golfers list. Click Here